An ideal hiking activity for the whole family, this is an alternative way for you to discover Meteora.
A tour designed to give you a full perspective around nature, the culture and the history that surrounds Meteora by hiking, visiting monasteries and tasting the traditional treats.
This tour is the only way for travellers who want to immerse themselves in area’s history and get a closer look at this bizarre and amazing geological formation. The footpaths have a long tradition as for many hundreds of years they were the only form of roads leading to the monasteries. You can find different forms of human modifications along the paths either with carved stairs or wooden stairs helping the transportation of equipment and everyday needs.
Your tour starts from Kalambaka, where you board a luxury mini-bus and head to Kastraki, where the hiking-path begins. The route takes you to the heart of the green forest and leads you to the abandoned and restored Monastery of Visitation of Jesus and to the statue of Papathymios Vlahavas (a fighter during the rebellion against the Turks). Also, you will see St Dimitrios church which was used as headquarters by the rebels during the Greek-Turkish war and which was destroyed by Ottomans in the early 18th century. From there, your hiking-path leads you to the top of the rocks until you will reach the impressive monasteries of “Great Meteoron” and “Varlaam”. Then descend through a path to Kastraki, where you pass near the cave of St George Mandilas. Here, every year people climb to hang their handkerchiefs, as tradition dictates.
Ticket type: Printed
Printed Ticket. Print and bring the ticket to enjoy the activity.
We are picking up clients from all the accomodation in Kastraki and Kalambaka.
End point: Same as the starting point
Duration: 4,5 Hours
Guide type: Guide
- Children less than 3 years old go free if they can share a seat with their parent or guardian.
- Due to the strict dress code at the monastery, men must wear trousers, t-shirt or shirt with sleeves. Women must wear a long skirt (there are usually trousers and skirts provided at the monasteries).
- The tour leader will provide you with all necessary information about the sites but he will not escort you inside.
- Animals are not allowed to be brought along.
- Credit card are not accepted for paying the monasteries entrance fees.
- You will travel by train on your own and will meet the group at the Kalambaka train station (the guide will help you check in at the hotel).
- Please provide your e-mail address to get your booking confirmation.
- Please provide the hotel name at the moment of reservation.
Please wear comfortable shoes.