About for Edinburgh
Edinburgh is the Athens of the North, or at least that’s how the city fancied itself as it gained a reputation as a centre of ideas in philosophy, economics and medicine in the 1700s. And it wasn’t too bold a claim.
With more than 4,500 listed buildings, the beautiful Scottish capital is renowned for its architecture, making it a great city-break option for those who love to gaze upon the work of some of our greatest architects.
Today, it is home to 500,000 people and a number of cultural events including the Edinburgh Fringe and Edinburgh Festival. The city has a relaxed but lively vibe, with something new and exciting happening every week. Edinburgh is the perfect gateway city into Scotland and Scottish culture.
Here are 15 of the best things to do in this beautiful, calm, and active city.
- Join the Edinburgh Festival Fringe
- Fill up on deliciously fresh local fare
- Investigate spooky goings-on
- Experience the famous Hogmanay
- Find the real life Hogwarts
- Take a tour of the Scottish Parliament
- Visit the majestic Edinburgh Castle
- Hunt the Loch Ness Monster
- Walk along Hadrian’s Wall
- Visit St Giles’ Cathedral
- Rosslyn Chapel and the Scottish Borders
- Visit Scottish National Gallery
- Whisky tastings
- Hike Arthur’s seat
- Shopping on Princes Street