About for Gythio
Gythio is a town on the eastern shore of the Mani Peninsula, and a former municipality in Laconia, Peloponnese, Greece. Since the 2011 local government reform it is part of the municipality East Mani, of which it is a municipal unit. The municipal unit has an area of 197.313 km2. It was the seaport of Sparta, some 40 kilometres (25 miles) north.
It is the site of ancient Cranae, a tiny island where according to legend Paris of Troy and Helen from Sparta spent their first night together before departing for Troy, thus igniting the Trojan War.
Gythio used to be an important port until it was destroyed in 4th century AD, possibly by an earthquake. Even thereafter its strategic location gave Gythio a significant role in Maniot history. Today it is the largest and most important town in Mani. It is also the seat of the municipality of East Mani.
11 things to do in Gythio
1. Stroll around
2. Nafplio city tour
3. Experience nature outdoor activities
4. Go to the lighthouse of Gythio
5. Explore tower of Tzanetakis
6. Visit historical and ethnological museum of Mani
7. Wine & oil olive tasting in a Greek organic farm in Laconia
8. Hiking around Kardamyli
9. Visit Cranae
10. Sunbath in one of the golden beaches in Mani
11. Eat fresh fish in a local fish tavern