About for Athens
With a recorded history of 3,000 years, Athens is the capital of Greece and among the most interesting places in the world. Actually Athens is one of the best destinations in 2020 as it has amazing sightseeing to visit, including the world-famous Acropolis with the Temple of Parthenon, the New Acropolis Museum, the Theatre of Herodes Atticus, the Ancient Agora, the Roman Agora and others.
After a full day walking around Athens, do not miss a drink at night in the many bars and cafes.
Located in a central spot in Greece, the city is also very convenient for day trips to archaeological sites in the mainland and close islands in the Aegean Sea.
You could spend a lifetime exploring the historical capital of Europe, but whether it’s just for a few hours or a few weeks (or seek the perfect Athens’ itinerary for a 48-hour stopover!), this summer we’ve got you covered with this shortlist of 15 best things to do in Athens, the hometown of Goddess Athena, whatever the weather (windy or super hot!)
So here it goes, in random order for you to decide what should be on your what to do in Athens schedule
- Visit the Acropolis Museum & Acropolis
- Taste (and buy) Greek products at Monastiraki market
- Eat Greek gyros and souvlaki
- Stroll around Athens’ attractions
- Swim in the Athens Riviera | Varkiza, Vouliagmeni and Kavouri
- Escape to an island in the Saronic Gulf
- Enjoy Athens’ nightlife | Central Athens and Athens’ Riviera
- Catch a movie at an outdoor cinema | Syntagma and Thissio
- Eat Greek fish | Piraeus
- Watch a performance | Odeon of Herodes Atticus and Epidaurus ancient theatre
- Watch the sunset at the Temple of Poseidon | Sounion
- Visit National Archeological Museum
- Visit National Gardens
- Experience Dinner in the Sky
- Mount Lycabettus