About for Athens
With a recorded history of 3,000 years, Athens is the capital of Greece and among the most interesting places in the world.
Actually Athens is one of the top travel destinations as it has amazing sightseeing to visit, including the world-famous Acropolis with the Temple of Parthenon, the New Acropolis Museum, the Theatre of Herodes Atticus, the Ancient Agora, the Roman Agora and others.
Located in a central spot in Greece, the city is also very convenient for day trips to archaeological sites in the mainland and close islands in the Aegean Sea with hundreds of thousands options of hotels in Athens to choose from.
You could spend a lifetime exploring the historical capital of Europe, but whether it’s just for a few hours or a few weeks (or seek the perfect Athens’ itinerary for a 48-hour stopover!), we’ve got you covered with this shortlist of 15 best things to do in Athens, the hometown of Goddess Athena, whatever the weather (windy or super hot!)
Let’s explore 15 things to do in Athens.
- Visit the Acropolis Museum & Acropolis.
- Taste (and buy) Greek products at Monastiraki market.
- Eat Greek gyros and souvlaki and other tasteful delicacies.
- Stroll around Athens’ attractions.
- Swim in the Athens Riviera | Varkiza, Vouliagmeni or Kavouri.
- Escape to an island in the Saronic Gulf.
- Enjoy Athens’ nightlife | Central Athens and Athens’ Riviera.
- Catch a movie at an outdoor cinema in Syntagma or Thissio.
- Eat Greek fish in Piraeus.
- Choose to stay in one of the newest Athens boutique hotels overlooking Mount Lycabettus or the Acropolis.
- Watch a performance | Odeon of Herodes Atticus and Epidaurus ancient theatre.
- Photoshoot the sunset at the Temple of Poseidon in Sounion.
- Visit National Archeological Museum.
- Visit National Gardens.
- Experience Dinner in the Sky.